A 3D printed bike saddle with a revolutionary padding with carbon-reinforced nylon shell and a highly stiff carbon rail (R1).
Performance cycling saddle with a revolutionary 3d printed padding offering seamlessly engineered zonal cushioning.
A 3D PRINTED PADDING
The evolution of digital 3D printing allowed us to develop a new saddle without the constraints or limitations imposed by traditional production methods and materials. The Adaptive saddle padding is crafted by Carbon using its revolutionary Digital Light Synthesis technology. DLS is an additive manufacturing process that uses digital ultraviolet light projection, oxygen-permeable optics, and programmable liquid resins to produce parts with excellent mechanical properties, resolution, and surface finish.
TAILORED ZONAL CUSHIONING
Using Carbon technology, biomechanists and engineers have an unprecedented possibility: to design and manufacture multiple functional zones within the saddle, tuning each of them separately for specific mechanical properties. Each of these key functional zones is engineered with a distinctive cushioning and mechanical response, joined together progressively and seamlessly in the same padding.
LAB TESTED, ROAD PROVEN
Professional cyclists and amateur riders were tested in both the fizik labs and on the road. During each development phase, every iteration was carefully tested. A great focus has been put on understanding how the pressure patterns change according to different bike geometries, riding positions, and riding styles.
FROM AN IDEA, DIRECTLY TO SCALABLE PRODUCTION
Thanks to this one-of-its-kind combination of process and material, we’ve been given the chance to develop a product five times faster, creating and field-testing hundreds of iterations. Being applicable to mass production, this technology completely remaps the traditional manufacturing process, accelerating and leaping over all intermediate phases.
The saddle is very easy to clean. Even with the filthiest road muck, all you need to do is simply hose it over with water. Whatever gets in, gets out. We’ve put it through the most severe tests, simulating accelerated weathering, UV aging, and wear resistance by following strict protocols.
- Adaptive: Carbon® Digital Light Synthesis™ 3D printing technology, offering seamlessly engineered zonal cushioning
- Versus Evo: Engineered with a degree of flexibility and a full channel design for pressure relief on soft tissue area
- R1: A combination of a ride compliant carbon-reinforced nylon shell and a highly stiff carbon rail
- Intended use: road racing
- Concepts: this is a product of the fizik Concepts program, a cross-disciplinary collaboration of leading industry experts and academics carrying out research and analysis on technology, design, physiology, and bike fitting in search of ways to improve cycling performance.