Marlin 4 is the perfect gateway to trail riding. It's ideal for new riders who want a mountain bike with knobby tires that can double as a rugged commuter. Disc brakes, front suspension, 21 speeds, and mounts for a rack and fenders make this a great bike for new trail riders and campus commuters alike.
It's right for you if...
You want an introductory mountain bike at an incredible price, but also want a commuter that's rugged enough to hop curbs on the way to class.
The tech you get
A lightweight aluminum frame with internal shift cable and brake hose routing to protect your cables and add to the bike's sleek look, 21 speeds, a wide range of gearing so you always have the right gear for your terrain, powerful hydraulic disc brakes, and a suspension fork that takes the edge off bumps and rough terrain.
The final word
It's built in Trek's mountain bike heritage and great for any adventure. The rack and fender mounts make it a great choice for commuters who want to get a little rad on the way to class or the grocery store.
WHY YOU'LL LOVE IT
- It's a real mountain bike that's also perfectly suited to daily commutes, rides around campus, or just getting from A to B on any surface
- Rack and fender mounts make it easy to accessorize, so your mountain bike can double as a rugged commuter
- Smaller frame sizes (XS and S) have short-reach brake levers that make it easier and more comfortable for riders with smaller hands to brake confidently
- Marlin models in XS and S frame sizes have a curved top tube and a lower standover height that makes it easier for smaller riders to mount and dismount
- Like every model in the Marlin family, it's backed by Trek's lifetime warranty
|Frame||Alpha Silver Aluminum, internal routing, chainstay disc brake mount, rack and kickstand mount|
|Fork||SR Suntour XCE 28, coil spring, preload, 100mm travel|
|Axles||Front: 5x100mm QR
Rear: 135x5mm QR
|Hubs||Front: Formula DC-20, alloy, 6-bolt
Rear: Formula DC-31, alloy, 6-bolt, 6/7/8 speed freewheel
|Tires||Bontrager XR2 Comp, wire bead, 30 tpi, 29x2.00"|
|Crankset||Shimano Tourney TY301, 42/34/24|
|Bottom Bracket||VP BC73, 73mm, threaded cartridge|
|Chain||KMC Z7, 7 speed|
|Front Derailleur||Shimano Tourney TY300, 34.9mm clamp, down swing, down pull|
|Rear Derailleur||Shimano Tourney TY300, long cage, 34T max cog|
|Cassette/Rear Cogs||Shimano TZ500, 14-28, 7 speed|
|Shifters||Shimano Altus EF500, 7 speed|
|Handlebars||Bontrager alloy, 31.8mm, 5mm rise|
|Stem||Bontrager alloy, 31.8mm, Blendr compatible, 7 degree|
|Brakes||Tektro MD-M280 mechanical disc|
|Pedals||VP-536 nylon platform|
|Saddle||Bontrager Arvada, steel rails, 138mm width|
|Seat Post||Bontrager alloy, 31.6mm, 12mm offset|